Week 1

by - April 18, 2018


Week 1: Narita Training

So the first week was pretty rough.  I went from near 3-month vacation mode (I count constant restaurant work as vacation mode) to an intensive 4 days of training from 3/18 – 3/22.  The schedule was essentially 8:30am – 6:30pm. 

Training was…interesting.  They were definitely preaching to the lowest denominator. However, that is not to say that I didn’t gain any value from the various lessons ranging from teaching to just how to live in Japan without Gaijin stomping all over the place (ie. learn the rules of the land, and not just be a foreigner who does whatever you want and probably get in a lot of trouble).  I especially appreciated the practice sessions we had for mock lessons.  Everything sounds so easy in my head when I’m watching the teachers, or other students perform.  Actually getting up in front of everyone was quite a different story.  Though, I was praying that teaching in front of Japanese kids would be a little more fun than a bunch of adults.  I did what I could to learn take in as much information as possible, because I really do want to do as well a job as possible.

During this time, meals were.... The lunch and dinner bentos tasted like they had been sitting out all day.  HOWEVER, the breakfast buffet was amazing.  I got my last taste of foods such as bacon and pastries, since I knew I probably wouldn’t be having them (Not gonna buy/cook such luxuries!) for a long long time.  The hotel had a conbini inside, and another 711 about 15 minutes walk away, or a 30 minute shuttle to the city.  However, the hotel was warm and I wasn’t too keen on leaving it. 

Interestingly, there was no WiFi provided in the rooms, and we had to share with a roommate.  The WiFi problem was managed by leaving my roommate to go to the lobby where there was a modest WiFi connection. My roommate’s name was Jack, though I kept calling him Jeff the first night, sorry Jack if you ever see this.  Anyways, I thought it was a brilliant idea to give us roommates.  As most people are probably setting out on their own in a foreign land and need others to connect with. Shoutout to Tiff though, another Hawaii girl, for going through this ordeal with me because it was real nice having a familiar face throughout training.

Shoutout to Maya too for coming all the way out to Narita on the 18th night! Since I came up to Japan on March 17, but my birthday was on March 14, she made a special 2+ hour trip AFTER work to come hang out.  I bought a separate room at the Hilton (where WiFi was provided free of charge?), and had a nice little conbini dinner (onigiri and cup noodle) and shared a cake she bought me from Tokyo Station!  It was my first time seeing her since she left in October so that was real nice.  Unfortunately, we were both exhausted from a combination of a long work day and travel fatigue (bus/jetlag).  The next morning was bright and early but again, shoutout to Tiff for sharing her extra ticket she randomly had so that Maya could join us in the buffet!

Anyways, 3 days of training, 1 day of presenting a practice lesson + a few lectures.  Some of us went out the last night to see the city and celebrate.  The shuttle was absolutely packed leaving the hotel, but the skilled bus driver handled the narrow turns with ease.  Got off the shuttle early after seeing a karaoke place, popped into some random yakitori restaurant for drinks then went to sing!  Got back tired and ready to leave the next day.



You May Also Like

0 comments